LG Valuation Services Pty Ltd has been contracted to undertake Statutory Valuation Services of all properties in your Municipal Area on behalf of Valuer General Victoria (VGV) as the valuation authority.


Please note: The 2 month objection period has closed for the annual issue of rate notices.  If you have an objection to a supplementary valuation you can still complete the objection below.

Residential rates/valuation objection

If your property is a residential property and you would like to submit an online objection then click the Online Residential Objection.

Download the Residential Objection Form to post or deliver to council

Rural rates/valuation objection

If your property is a rural property and you would like to submit an online objection then click Online Rural Objection.

Download the Rural Objection Form to post or deliver to council

Commercial or Industrial rates/valuation objection

If your property is a commercial or industrial property and you would like to submit an online objection then click Online Comm/Ind Objection.

Download the Commercial or Industrial Objection Form to post or deliver to council

Lodging a Valuation Objection

Rating Authority Valuation Process 

In the 2020/21 year the valuation process is the responsibility of each municipality. This includes undertaking the
valuations used for municipal rating and state land tax assessment purposes. Valuer-General Victoria (VGV) has
a statutory obligation to ensure that these valuations are undertaken in accordance with the Valuation of Land
Act 1960 (VLA).

Rating valuations are based on analysis of applicable sale prices and rental returns of similar properties by
qualified valuers. To successfully argue that a valuation is too high, you will need to demonstrate by sales and
rents of comparable properties, that the valuation should be lower.

Objection and Appeal Process

The VLA also covers the objection and appeals processes available to people who are aggrieved by their rating
authority valuation. The Act and its associated regulations prescribe the following objections processes.

Who May Object (Section 16 VLA)

If you disagree with the assessment of value made by your municipal council and you are liable for the payment
of rates as the owner or occupier, then you may lodge a written objection with your Council.

When Can I Lodge an Objection? (Section 18 VLA) 

You have two (2) months from when Council issued your Valuation (and Rates) Notice to lodge an objection with
the Council.

Lodging the Objection (Section 16 VLA)

The objection MUST be in writing and:

  • Contain the prescribed information (Form 4 of the VLA Regulations). The required information is set out
    in the objection forms available from Council;
  • Be directed to the Council;
  • Provide details as to the assessment of value being objected to, i.e. Site Value, Capital Improved Value
    and/or Net Annual Value; and
  • Detail the grounds on which the objection is made.

Grounds for Objection (Section 17 VLA)

The grounds for objection are:

  • The value is too high or too low;
  • The values or interests are not apportioned correctly;
  • The lands have not been combined or separated correctly;
  • The person named on the notice is not liable,
  • The area, dimensions or description are incorrect.

Objection Form

The completion of the appropriate objection form available from Council, will ensure compliance with the above
and assist in discussions with the valuer.
Please post or deliver completed form(s) to the Valuation Office at your local Council.

Where can I obtain property sales information to assist with my objection?

Property sales information may be purchased from the DSE Landata Customer Service by calling (03) 8636
2456. Alternatively you may collect sales information from auction results published in the press or from local
real estate agents, or via a google internet search.

Dealing with the Objection (Section 21(2) VLA)

When an objection is lodged with Council, it is referred to the valuer for consideration. The valuer then must
provide a reasonable opportunity for the objector to discuss the matter.

Within four (4) months after receiving the objection notice, the valuer has the option to:

(a) Disagree with the objection, whereby no adjustment to the valuation is considered justified and a written
notice of disallowance is provided to the objector; or
(b) Agree that an adjustment to the valuation is justified and provide a notice recommending an appropriate
adjustment to the objector, the Council and the Valuer-General Victoria (VGV).

Following option (a) (disallowance), the objector and the Council are notified directly. No action from VGV is

Following option (b) (an adjustment is recommended), VGV has two (2) months after receiving this notice of
recommendation to either agree or disagree with the adjustment to the valuation as recommended by the valuer.

  • If the Valuer General agrees that the adjustment is justified, a confirmation notice is sent to the rating
    authority, objector, and valuer; or
  • If the VGV disagrees with the adjustment made, a notice of disallowance is sent to all parties.

Valuation Appeals Process

If an objector is dissatisfied with the objection outcome, they can apply directly to the Victorian Civil and
Administrative Appeals Tribunal VCAT to review the matter.

The Valuation of Land Act 1960 can be viewed at www.legislation.vic.gov.au.

Objection to State Land Tax Valuation

Any objection to the site value used to levy state land tax should be referred to the State Revenue Office.